> So I should be looking at SESSION_COOKIE_SECURE (http://
> docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/sessions/)?

Cookies are passed along with the request, not in a separate
connection. Therefore with browsers that support secure only cookies,
setting SESSION_COOKIE_SECURE = True would require all requests which
needed the session (in your case, all of them, I believe) to be served
over SSL.

> > Steven, you say you have login on SSL and then have the cookie passed
> > over unencrypted channel for the rest of the site. Is there any risk
> > with this or mitigating steps that should be taken?

I'm no security expert ;-) but it would certainly be easier to steal a
cookie that is being transferred over an insecure connection, at which
point the thief could impersonate the user of the cookie that was
stolen. BUT this would require that the thief have access to the
network somewhere between the client and server (so it's not _that_
easy). Also note that the Django cookie does not contain the password
(no cookies should ever contain secrets like this).

Other options might be to consider using
SESSION_EXPIRE_AT_BROWSER_CLOSE or SESSION_COOKIE_AGE to reduce the
lifetime of the cookie, at the expense of requiring your users to log
in more frequently.

Given that you say your content is not particularly sensitive, I would
presume that saving the CPU cycles and only using SSL for auth and
personal data transfer is acceptable -- but maybe the extra CPU cycles
are not significant. Only you and your stakeholders can determine what
level of paranoia you need for your site.

Hope this helps!
Steven.