I have a url in my app that needs to get info from a GET param.  For
example, let's say my url is retrieving books by any of a set of
authors, so the url might be this to get books authored by smith,
johnson, or klein:

www.example.com/books/?author=smith+johnson+klein

I notice that when I look at request.GET.get('author') on the server,
the '+' is gone and replaced by space:

<QueryDict: {'u'author': [u'foo bar']}>

Is this django doing this for me or is this some sort of general http
protocal thing?

My main question is just - what's the accepted way to pass in a get
parameter that contains a bunch of times.  What if the parameter
itself has spaces?  I've seen this '+' used - is that standard or just
personal preference?

Thanks,
Margie