2010/7/18 Roald de Vries <downa...@gmail.com>:

> Comparison of VIM and Emacs (what I've read):
> - Emacs is monolithic (does everything, for example includes shell), VIM is
> unix style (does one thing well, why reproduce the shell?)

Wrong, all it's features are in separated Emacs' Lisp modules which
can be activated or deactivated at user's will. Emacs provides
different kind of programs to allow user's edit text without exiting
from Emacs, that's why it is nice to have a shell (that without
mentioning the cool features you can develop with a shell interface).

> - Emacs doesn't have different (confusing) modes, VIM doesn't leave you with
> a crippled little finger (from all the <C-...>'s)

For me having two modes is annoying and confusing, I don't mind
hitting modifiers to execute things but that's a personal taste, the
good thing is that if you are a vi(m)'s keybinding dependant person
you can activate viper-mode and Emacs will have the same keybindings
as vi(m).

> - VIM has more commands than Emacs

I disagree with that. Just install Emacs, hit M-x apropos-commands and
count them for yourself :). Emacs is a Lisp interpreter with text
editor commands and primitives included into it. So it is a complete
development environment for itself and the GNU/Emacs distribution
comes with batteries-included, it supports by default languages you
probably never heard of.

> I would say Emacs makes you more productive on shorter term, VIM makes you
> more productive on longer term.

I disagree with that too, both editors are so advanced that let you
increase your productivity in time to limits you wouldn't imagine.
Emacs is known to be the most extensible of both (that's its
philosophy) so your productivity limit is your imagination, as long as
you willing to learn some Emacs Lisp.

I'm not sending this email to start a flame on Emacs and Vim. Being a
relatively advanced Emacs user I just like to correct some points
expressed here.

And to finish I like to mention that I tried myself Vim and Emacs some
years ago when looking for better ways to work, and I stayed with
Emacs mainly because of two things:
    * The extension language (I like Lisp).
    * I don't like having two editing modes.

Whatever you choose should be fine, it's just a matter of personal taste.

Best Regards,
--
Fabián E. Gallina
http://www.from-the-cloud.com