So, label_ingredient.ingredient.get_absolute_url will work. That's
astonishing, both in it's coolness factor and in the fact I never
picked up on it while reading docs, tutorials and forums.

I'm still not sure I understand how Django manages to know to go get
the Ingredient object, but I'm willing to ignore the man behind the
curtain until I understand the process better.

This was a big, bright light shining on my dark Django fumblings, so
once again, thank you.