On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Andy <selforgani...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to shard my database horizontally.
>
> In another thread (http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/
> browse_thread/thread/2748cdf205b5cf3e/
> e8fe5087748d3c43#e8fe5087748d3c43) I was told it's best to use the
> Database Router to implement horizontal sharding.
>
> But I can't figure out how to use the Database Router to do what i
> want. The documentation doesn't contain a lot of info either.
>
> I have a model "Tweet".
>
> What I'd like to do is to shard Tweet into N different databases/
> tables.

Ah - this is possibly the source of confusion. Django's Routers can
shard to different databases, but not to different tables in the same
database.

Why do you want to shard into different *tables*? The usual
interpretation of sharding (at least, the usual interpretation that
*I'm* familiar with) is to shard into different *databases*. I'm not
sure I see what you gain by using different tables in the same
database.

Yours
Russ Magee %-)