On 21/07/2006, at 11:22 AM, Adrian Holovaty wrote:

(1) Portable apps across projects architecture. From what I've read,

it sounds like a perfect fit for what I want to do. Is it really that

great?

Yes. It is that great. :) It's really interesting that you see that as

one of Django's main strengths, as it's something we don't really

advertise (but we should!). The software from which Django was

extracted -- a news package called Ellington -- was designed to let

apps be portable across projects/servers/sites. We wanted to be able

to say "Let's reuse this events-calendar thing on Lawrence.com and

LJWorld.com, giving them different templates for the different sites,

but keeping the same backend code."

It's exactly what you're looking for, in that respect. And thanks for

indirectly encouraging us to advertise this feature more...

It's the main reason I chose to develop my first app in Django, instead of Rails, and from then I've been hooked.

--
Ian Holsman
http://economychat.com discussion on the economy and economics in general