Hi guys,

I manage a Brazilian free ads portal and recently I migrated the
static files to rackspace cloud files [1] (Amazon S3 like). Now the
site open much faster but the media files are still in the same server
of django.

I couldn't migrate the dynamic media files to rackspace cloud files
because I need to generate thumbnails for images.

I'm a sorl thumbnail user and I'm very happy with it but it seems it
will be no more supported [2] (at least no by the authors) and there
is some functionalities (like custom storage) that I need and is not
present in the current version.

I want to make it possible to have the dynamic media files on a
separated server, first because the boost on the site (2 connections
opening the same time) and to cost cutting (a media server are cheaper
as I can use a vps with nginx or even the rackspace cloud files). Do
you have any advice?

I already started searching for options and I found something:

1) I can have a pair of servers, the admin saves on the principal site
and a cron job copies files to the secundary server (based on the
timestamp). If a file is request on the 2nd server but it is not here
yet, just redirect to the 1st server.

2) Use easy thumbnails [2], from Smiley Chris, one of the authors of
sorl thumbnail. It seems pretty good. It solves one problem of thumbs
in cloud server: the timestamp of the file is cached on the database
(as amazon s3 ou rackspace cloud do not store it in the file).

3) I can have a pair of servers, the admin saves directly on the 2nd
server (maybe through nfs).

Did someone faced a similar problem? How do you solve it? Is there
anything broken in my ideas?

Best regards.

http://rackspacecloud.com/ [1]
http://code.google.com/p/sorl-thumbnail/wiki/Future [2]