Using the language files is the solution here. Even if your site only
supports the English language, it still means that you can have .po
files for just English. Once you understand how it all hangs together
you'll be away.

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.1/topics/i18n/#topics-i18n

I have a site that is just English but we allow the client to choose
what text they want to use. The text in templates can be descriptions,
for example you could type "Home page welcome message" in a template
and mark it for translation. Then in the English .po file you can see
what the text is used for and input the correct English for it.