Hmm, I can't fathom it.

I would opt for a single simple query that returns a little more than you
need and post-process it in python. This would be more maintainable than a
hairy ORM query, I'd say; but if you have vast numbers of results that may
not be appropriate.

Alternatively, and presuming you can't add and keep up to date an
'is_current' (or whatever) column in the database to make the status of a
given State explicit, you could construct a database view which computes
this flag instead, backed by a different model with Options.managed = False.

That's the view from my armchair, anyway!
Steven.