contract_form.is_valid() looks at the data that was bound to the form.
This is normally the data in request.POST. It doesn't matter what a
form's initial data happened to be. It only matters what data you POST
back to it. If someone doesn't modify the form, then the initial and
the POSTed data are probably the same. However, if your form doesn't
have the read-only fields displayed in the template, they won't be
POSTing their data back.

Alex