The "Django at a glance" aka "Overview" page at
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/intro/overview/ is intended to
introduce new users to models, queries (using the API), URLs, views,
templates and so on.  In short, it's a simpler version of the
tutorial.  But it lacks much information, so it fails to be useful for
new users.  For example:
1. It doesn't note that the models.py file (and others) need to be in
an app and not in the project containing the app.
2. It doesn't note that you need to edit the settings.py file
(database details, apps used) before you can run the "manage.py
syncdb" command.
3. It doesn't note that you need to run the "manage.py shell" command
before you can use the API interactively.
4. It imports model names Reporter and Article from module
mysite.models, but assuming mysite is a project (as it is elsewhere,
e.g., in the tutorial), it should import them from module
mysite.myapp.models.
5. The URLs section similarly assumes the file views.py is in mysite
instead of mysite.myapp.
6. The Templates section assumes templates are stored in a news
subdirectory, but doesn't say where this subdirectory is stored or
whether settings.py needs to be edited to say where templates are
stored.
I think I could go on.
This combination of omissions and errors means that new users can't
run these examples to reinforce their learning before they have
already understood much more about the structure of Django projects,
apps, templates and so on.  This seriously detracts from the
usefulness of the example on this page.
Now I'm sorry if this issue has been raised before or if I'm seriously
misunderstanding Django or the purpose of this page, and if so I hope
someone will enlighten me.
Otherwise, I hope someone  will revise this page to make it more
useful as a stand-alone mini-tutorial.
And I'd appreciate advice as to whether or not it's appropriate to
make these comments as a formal ticket.
Rodney