On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Sithembewena Lloyd Dube
<zebr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Reinout. I have been seeing a lot of discussions regarding South
> lately - time to dive in and find out what it is and what it means for me.
>
> I was under the impression that Django would add a field to my table. So,
> is syncdb only good during initial database setup?

That is essentially correct, though I have modified tables by renaming the
old one, letting syncdb recreate it, then copy the old data into the new
table.  However, due to foreign keys, that's not as simple as it might
sound.  Early in development, I have also let syncdb create a whole new
database, then copied the old data into it.

Come to think of it, I have also sometimes created a modified table under a
temporary name, so that I can see what Django would have done if it were a
new setup, so that I can modify the old table manually to match how Django
would have done it automatically (and then drop the temporary table).

Nick