On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 3:57 AM, Waldemar Kornewald
<wkornew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 9:30 pm, mack the finger <nbvf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm considering starting a project, and am leaning towards using
>> google app engine instead of the traditional LAMP stack. The problem
>> is that with app engine, you can't use django models, or anything else
>> that depends on django models, which means no modelforms, no admin, no
>> authentication, no third party-apps, etc. This is a huge drawback for
>> me.
>>
>> Lately there has been some work getting non-relational databases
>> working with django.  In lieu of all of that, what is the likelihood
>> that in the near future django will grow the ability to work more
>> natively with app engine?
>
> Django-nonrel with djangoappengine is what you're searching for:
> http://www.allbuttonspressed.com/projects/django-nonrel
> http://www.allbuttonspressed.com/projects/djangoappengine
>
> With that combo you can use Django's models on App Engine (which
> includes modelforms, admin, auth, etc.). 3rd-party apps like django-
> socialauth work, too, but apps which depend on JOINs won't work
> because the App Engine datastore doesn't support JOINs. We do plan to
> solve that, too, but that'll take some time.
>
> Then, when Django 1.3 gets official nonrel support we'll port
> djangoappengine to that, so you can continue to use your code, but
> this time with the official Django release.

Firstly -- Nobody has ever committed to getting Alex's query-refactor
branch merged in for Django 1.3. In fact, I'm on record in at least
one forum (DC.eu) saying "Almost certainly not before 1.4". As Alex
described in his end of GSoC announcement, there are still some loose
ends that need to be resolved, and the timeframe for the 1.3 release
doesn't provide enough time to get this stuff merged in time for a
feature freeze.

Secondly -- One of the reasons that this isn't going to happen for 1.4
is that we're not going to rush it. Aside from fixing the loose ends,
we need to be convinced that the changes that Alex has made are
sufficient to support multiple non-relational backends. So far, he's
got a compelling proof of concept with MongoDB; however, I need to see
similar proofs of concept for other stores (CouchDB, Cassandra and GAE
would be my ideal list) before I'm convinced that the proposed changes
are sufficient.

All this by way of saying: we need someone to port a GAE backend
*before* query-refactor is merged in, not after. If you want to speed
things up, this would be a helpful way to contribute.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)