Thanks for the reply. The learning curve to get started has been
harder than I expected.

I found this: http://github.com/redvasily/django-emailauth

Which seems to handle things well but it's still a hack (it's adding
IDs in front of the email to create a username. I ran the setup.py and
loaded the code's example but noticed the example app is not using the
templates. Do the templates/App get copied to the Django core during
the installation?

I was hoping to app it:
/
 / emailauth
  / emailauth/templates

And then customize those email templates. Is that they way things are
done with Django? did I setup this up wrong? Any advice is
appreciated. thxs