Thanks Pete.

I'm definitely interested in using PyMySQL for production.

I'm interested in running Django in an async mode using gevent (http://
www.gevent.org/). gevent provides a money patch that turns any Python
code into non-blocking. The problem is that MySQLdb is written in C,
so it'd still block, which would kinda defeat the whole purpose of
having an async Django app if every database access is blocking.

PyMySQL looks like could be a great solution for this problem. In fact
there's already a thread in the gevent mailing list talking about
PyMySQL. You might want to drop by:
http://groups.google.com/group/gevent/browse_thread/thread/b5f7bf44b7690ed9