I'm about to release a pure-Python full-text indexer and search engine
called Dolphy. My main goals for Dolphy are query performance and
convenient integration with Django and other Python web applications.
The current feature set includes:

* Stemming ('societies' matches 'society')
* Multi-term queries (implicit ANDs or ORs)
* Ranking by relevance or date
* Contextual summarisation
* Configurable stopwords
* Partial support for incremental indexing (inserts are handled,
updates and deletes are not)

Features which are planned or underway, but may not be available in the
first release, include:

* Full support for incremental indexing
* Phrase searching
* Google-like query parsing
* Unicode support

Although Dolphy isn't ready for public release, it's in use in two
production settings, on Linux and Windows. Search performance on
medium-sized collections (20,000 documents) is excellent, and it should
scale well with much larger collections; indexing performance is
reasonable. You can see Dolphy in action on my blog:

http://tom.dyson.name:8181/search?q=piano

If you're interested in this project, please send me feature requests,
API suggestions (particularly with regards to Django integration) and
test data collections.

Cheers

Tom
--