Hi again! :)

I haven't thought this idea through, and very well could be
wildly inefficient! :)

Though in your admin.py when registering the admin model do something like
this:

from myproject.myapp.models import MyModel, OtherModel

class MyModelAdmin(models.admin):
    object_i_want = OtherModel.objects.get(field_i_care_about=whatever)
    prepopulated_fields = { "field_i_care_about":
(object_i_want.field_i_care_about)

admin.site.register(MyModel, MyModelAdmin)

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:59 PM, pixelcowboy <pixelcowbo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, I want a project structure that is as follows:
>
> I have an application with project model that has a subproject, and
> that subproject has other subproject,etc. What I want to get is that
> the subproject gets the same attributes that the parent project, but
> is also able to override their values in its own instance (but not in
> the parent instance).
>
> My first idea is using something like a foreign key. This gives me
> access to the parent values, but not the ability to override them.
>
> The second option is multi-table inheritance from the parent class.
> This gives me the parents class attributes, but I again I dont get the
> fields in the admin, so Im not able to override them (at least not in
> the admin). Is there any way to this?
>
> The third option is to inherit an abstract class. The parent also
> inherits from this class, so both have the fields I need. However, I
> would like for the child class to inherit default values for this
> fields from the parent class, but be free to override them. Is there
> any way to pre-populate fields in the admin with the attribute values
> from a parent or related files?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Guadajuko! Vamos a correr!
 -"Cool! we are going to run!"