Thank you Karen, I never would have thought to look for something like
this.

Here's the situation though, there was invalid data however it's
related to contrib.comments due to how contrib.comments is structured.

My comments were displaying perfectly fine in the threads they
belonged to (not in the admin). They were pointing to the correct PKs
and all of the data was there. The problem is contrib.comments has a
"site_id" column which defaults to 1 but I didn't have contrib.sites
setup or installed (didn't feel it was necessary).

After I installed contrib.sites then it works as intended after adding
a site. I tried to set the site_id to 0 before installing
contrib.sites but that didn't fix it (random shot in the dark :D).

Perhaps contrib.comments depending on contrib.sites is a design flaw /
issue, especially with it not being documented. I'm a Django newbie
(I've been watching djangocon videos, reading community sites, reading
books, poking around the documentation in small doses) but after using
Django for only a few hours I'm already scared. Stuff like this which
can't really be Googled successfully is a newbie's worst nightmare.