I learned python by reading o'reilly's learning python over a weekend,
and thought it was good introduction. Haven't seen the other intro
books.

You must have o'reilly's cookbook. It teaches you how to use the
language like a ninja.

I use o'reilly's nutshell book for quick references, however my
version only goes up to python 2.2

Text Processing in Python by David Mertz is a nice book if you need to
work in that area. Starts with python string manipulation, then has a
good overview of regular expressions and parsing. You can read some
online articles by David on ibm developerworks.

I have o'reilly's python standard library book, but don't actually use
it too much. Its often easier just to google something.

You probably only want o'reilly's programming python if you have an
interest some of the specific topics it covers. systems programming,
gui, etc.

- Steve