Let's say you have Python installed to D:/dev/python2.6

Is it wise/common practice to put django and other third party python
libraries (like pygments or markdown) in the python2.6/Lib/site-
packages/ directory while putting your actual projects in a completely
separate location off the python path?

I ask because I want to get used to placing my python install, django
install, third party python libs, django projects, and django
applications in a familiar/standard path structure so migrating to
various web hosts will be as painless as possible plus well organized.