I believe that this is documented.  I think that it's a limitation of
forms that character fields store an empty result as a null string.
All the null=True means is that the model field (not the model form
field) is willing to send the database a null, should it find None in
the instance attribute, and that the database column has been created
such that the database won't complain either.  If you really need a
null stored there, you will need to override form field validation or
model field db preparation.

Are you sure that you need this?