I'm using django-piston in my app, and it's incredible.

You can use XML in your RESTful API, but if you like to user another emitter
as JSON, Pickle... you can do at-the-moment! Incredible!

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:11, vikalp sahni <vikalpsa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You might want to have a look at django-piston.
>
> http://bitbucket.org/jespern/django-piston/wiki/Home
>
> Its a nice project to give rest full interface to your models.
>
> And for some specific logic also you can tweak the handlers to get desired
> results.
>
> Regards,
> //Vikalp
>

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Brendon <brendon.j.co...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to use DJango to implement an XML based RESTful API and a
>> website together using DJango. I am wondering if anyone here is aware
>> of any tutorials on ways of achieving this in DJango without
>> duplicating too much code?
>>

>> Basically what I want to achieve is to use the same core logic for
>> both the website and the API and just have different presentation
>> layers for the two systems. I have not seen any tutorials or the like
>> on doing this sort of thing and was wondering if people here have
>> suggestions on best approaches or tutorials that might show good ways
>> to structure this.
>>
>> The idea is that all interaction using the API uses XML. The POST data
>> sent to the server and responses from the server are all using an XML
>> schema that we have designed for our application. All interaction with
>> the website is the same but uses normal web forms etc for the
>> interface of the presentation layer.
>>
>> Example API:
>> * GET   : https://mywebsite/api/rooms/ : List available rooms, returns
>> XML with a list of Room ID's
>> * POST : https://mywebsite/api/room/  : Create a new room, raw POST
>> data is XML with the parameters required to create a room, on success
>> returns a Room ID
>> * GET   : https://mywebsite/api/room/<room-id>/ : Retrieves details
>> about an existing room
>> * POST : https://mywebsite/api/room/<room-id>/ : Modifies details for
>> an existing room
>> * DELETE : https://mywebsite/api/room/<room-id>/ : Delete a room
>>
>> Now, on the website side of things I want to do exactly the same but
>> as part of a a nice HTML site (with menus for navigation, nice graphs
>> to display relevant data etc).
>>
>> Example Web:
>> * GET   : https://mywebsite/web/rooms/ : Displays a page with a list
>> of links to available Rooms.
>> * GET   : https://mywebsite/web/room/   : Displays a page with a form
>> requesting input of all necessary data to create a new room.
>> * POST : https://mywebsite/web/room/   : Create a new room. POST data
>> comes from form displayed previously (on error redisplays form). On
>> success redirects the user to the details page for that room.
>> * GET   : https://mywebsite/web/room/<room-id>/ : Displays details
>> about an existing room and provides it in a form that can be used to
>> change the data with a POST
>> * POST : https://mywebsite/web/room/<room-id>/ : Modifies details for
> [...]

@agonzalezro <http://twitter.com/agonzalezro>
Please, don't send me files with extensions: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt
and/or .pptx