How to customizing and suppressing "Select a valid choice. That choice
is not one of ..."  error?

I have two requirements:

1) for some select drop downs, I want to customize the message
 "Select a valid choice. That choice is not one of ..."

 "Select a valid choice for field ABC. 12 choice is not one of ..."

is there a way I can do it in form. Like I can specify my own message
for 'Required'

2) Some cases, I want to add the user input as a new data to the db.
In that case I do not this validation error to be raised. How do I
suppress it .