Ok, it actually turns out the above idea works. That is to say, with a
minimal amount of weird tricks (an empty models.py, plugging in some
app_labels in the right places).
Of course: without the tricks it would be even better.

http://bitbucket.org/vanschelven/extendible_app_experiment

A few notes:
1. app_a vs. my_app_a  is still ugly
2. my approach breaks 'automatic' overriding of templates 'the django
way'; extendible_app/templates/ must be added to the templates path
'manually' (since "extendible_app" is not in settings.py, only
"my_extendible_app" is). Also ugly: my_extendible_app has a template
dir containing 'extendible_app' (not symmetric).
3. some verbosity is required in the example. I believe this could be
easily factored out. For example:
* the lazyness of get_xxx_class could be factored out (as a decorator,
as a lazy property, etc)

I'll try it somewhat more seriously on some real code in the coming
days. Will keep you posted.