We have an extranet web application (using sqlite) that is hosted
outside our network. One of the tables it uses is an excel report from
our main accounting system that contains a list of our customers. To
begin with this was imported manually but now I want to set up an
automated monthly refresh of the data.

Is there a best way to do this?

I was going to set up a python script run via a cron on the internal
servers to connect to the external ftp site and dump the file there,
and then have another cron on the external site to run through the
spreadsheet updating the sqlite database using standard sql calls.

I also suppose I could convert the spreadsheet to json, and have the
databases restart and automatically import the fixture ... although
this seems more complicated and probably prone to problems than the
above suggestion.

ALJ