As far as I know I constructed the urls properly.  For example one of
them was /policy/ (that's how it looked in flatpages).  I did find
another work around though.
I removed the flatpages middleware from my settings.  And then I added
this to my urls:

urlpatterns += patterns('',
    (r'^(?P<url>pages/(.*)/)$',
'django.contrib.flatpages.views.flatpage'),
)

Now as long as I make a flatpage of the pattern /pages/whatever/ it
finds it and otherwise the proper 404 is returned.
I got the idea here, just modified it a bit.
http://thisweekindjango.com/screencasts/episode/5/mapping-flatpage-urls/

-Josh