> According to documentation (http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/
> topics/auth/), models.User contains:
>
> first_name
>     Optional. 30 characters or fewer.
> last_name
>     Optional. 30 characters or fewer.
> email
>     Optional. E-mail address.
>
> Are "first_name" & "last_name" limited to alphanumeric characters
> or can they contain non-English characters like "ü" or
> non-European characters like "黒"?

Yes.

> What characters are allowed in the "email" field? Again can it
> contain non-English or non-European characters?

I don't know, but I hope not!

> Anyone who have built non-English or non-European websites using
> Django? What is your experience? Any pitfalls I need to be aware
> of?

The support for translating a Django project into various languages
is very good.  The issues I know of are very minor:

* You can't have comments on translation strings in templates

* The directory structure for the translations is static and may
  collide with other tools

* App names are untranslatable (yet)

Another thing is localisation, i.e. decimal point, formatting of
dates etc.  Django has support for it but I haven't used it so far.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                   Jabber ID: torsten.bron...@jabber.rwth-aachen.de
                                  or http://bronger-jmp.appspot.com