If I do upload_to=os.sep, I get an error:

Attempted access to '/test.pdf' denied.

It's trying to upload to the root of the drive!

settings.DOCUMENT_STORE_PATH is something like /var/www/testproject/
documents

file =
models.FileField(storage=FileSystemStorage(location=settings.DOCUMENT_STORE_PATH),
upload_to=os.sep, help_text=_(u"""The file itself."""))

Shouldn't it append the location and the upload_to paths to get the
target destination?