thanks for the reply Shawn,
the reason why I am not using ModelForm is

in the clean_url() I am using this validation
url=self.cleaned_data['url']
user_given_urls=[x.url for x in
MyModel.objects.filter(creator_of_entry=self.instance.creator_of_entry)]
if url in user_given_urls:
    raise forms.ValidationError('duplicate url')

That would not work for a Modelform because creator is not set when
is_valid() is called and so no validation error occurs.

if request.method=='POST' and form.is_valid():
        mymdl=form.save()
        mymdl.creator_of_entry=request.user
        mymdl.save()

Is there some other way to get user_given_urls other than the list
comprehension above?If so please tell me
thanks
mark