On 10/5/2010 1:35 PM, harryos wrote:
> The user can enter a website address which will be tracked by the
> program for certain info and then a message is sent to the user's
> mail.The  user can enter many such addresses.The problem is that he
> may accidently enter different variations of the url..and if I don't
> validate it for duplicates ,the program will be doing the same work
> again unnecessarily.
> if user gives http://www.djangocon.us and djangocon.us or http://djangocon.us
> ,the program will use those in urllib.urlopen(urlstring) ,and the read
> page /data will be the same.
> .This is why I need to consider the validation for duplicates
> thanks for the replies
> harry
>
> On Oct 5, 10:00 pm, Steve Holden <holden...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What aboutwww.mysite.com/default.asp?It might be helpful if you could
>> give us a little more insight into the real requirement here, rather
>> than a technical question based on some interpretation of the requirement.

But then the problem is that you don't actually *know* that
www.example.com and example.com are equivalent, let alone whether the
root page in a directory is represented by index.html, index.php,
default.asp, default.aspx or some other bizarre default imposed by a
site administrator.

The site is effectively a black box - you cannot truly know which URLs
are equivalent without knowing how it's configured.

regards
 Steve

--
DjangoCon US 2010 September 7-9 http://djangocon.us/