I have a model which has a tree-like structure (not exactly a FK on
self but we can assume that's the case).

I want to visualise this tree using all records from the db. It seems
impossible to do with QuerySet, if I have say 100 records (100 nodes
in the tree) and I try building the tree recursively django will
execute a SELECT for each node so it will hit the db 100 times to
build the tree.

I thought I could pull the data in one query using objects.all() and
then build the whole tree by iterating objects in memory. But again,
the structures returned by QuerySet are not the best for this purpose.
I can get either list of dictionaries or list of tuples. No
dictionary! So, to get a list of child nodes for each node I'd have to
iterate thru the whole collection which is not efficient at all. I
can't find a way to immediately lookup already fetched records by id!

Am I missing something? Iterating tree-like data structures seems
something quite common problem and someone must have done it already
with django.