Apparently, this is a cookie related issue:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2705235/django-test-failing-on-a-view-with-login-required

I'm using Django 1.1.1 for use with Django-CMS and Python 2.6.5, so
the problem with cookies as described by the Stack Overflow article
explains why my test fails :(

Hope this helps someone,
Brandon