Hi.

I'm working on an application tat communicates with embedded devices
connected to the LAN. The devices are controlled by a central server written
in C++. Django is used for the front-end or better to say the GUI for the
server.

Part of the data the user needs access too are stored in the database, hence
the Django DB API to access this data; however, there are certain data and
actions that requires direct communication with the C++ server. The
communication is implemented using CORBA (OmniORBpy). E.g. of a situation
where the CORBA interface between the GUI and the server is needed is the
flush of devices configuration or update of the following and this should be
real time and not implemented polling the DB.

Currenly I'm instantiating the CORBA interface to my server in the views.py.
I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it as I just don't see how
could I put the CORBA interface in the Model part of the GUI? << I'm still
confused by MVC approaches certain frameworks like CakePHP use. I think
Django is not such a framework; however, I still think I should somehow
separate the data layer from the business logic (bottomline: Django is still
kind of a MVC framework). How can I do this?

Of course I would also like to solve the problem I'm currently facing:
Let's suppose both the C++ server and Django web site are up and running. If
the C++ server is restarted the web page doesn't work any more until when I
restart the web server too. I instantiate the CORBA object in a global
scope; however, I thought there is no persistence for the Django code
between the web browser calls. Am I right? Why the connection to CORBA
ceases working in such a case? << with e.g. C++ or Python stand-alone
clients the connection is reestablished each time the script / program / ...
is executed.

Thanks for any hint you may have,
 Damir