Thanks Karen, you are right. But I missed the underscore for sending this,
although I was trying here with double underscore:

So If I do it right:

Item.objects.filter(location__point__distance__lte = (point, D(km=10)))

I get:

FieldError: Join on field 'point' not permitted. Did you misspell 'distance'
for the lookup type?

So it's still not working.

Regards,
Miguel Araujo