> I hope the auditors are only forcing you to do this with records that
> aren't referenced as part of relationships, otherwise your database is
> going to get hammered updating all the foreign keys.

The design spec (which is ours, not any "CPA auditor's"), say to
duplicate the living crap out of them. Plz don't go there.

> Wouldn't it make more sense (not that auditors will necessarily be
> persuaded by sensible arguments) to dump a copy of a row (plus possibly
> a timestamp field) to an archival table before update? This coild easily
> be done on a pre-save signal ...

Maybe.

Now how do I do a "group by" on an aggregate? I'm down to this:

st=Student.objects.filter(marks__in=Student.objects.all().aggregate(Max('marks'),
group_by='name'))

Guess what? The "group_by" doesn't work, and Googling for "group by"
returns all kinds of useless newb crap. Just sayin...