I poked around a little, and it looks like MySQL actually does support
foreign keys across databases.

I guess my questions are:

As long as the separate databases are not explicitly distributed eg.
to different machines or different CPUs, is there any disadvantage to
joining or constraining across database boundaries?

And/or is there a good way for me to customize the names of the tables
created by eg., auth, to dampen my urge to use a different database
just for the sake of namespace hygiene? (I'm thinking that the answer
to this is "no".)

Thanks
Alex