I'm running the basic django server and everything works fine from lan.
But from outside every request has a three second overhead, even if
it's just a 304. This means that a small html-page with three JS-files
and a stylesheet takes 15 seconds to load.

With apache everything works fine even from wan. I also did tcpdumps at
my external and internal interfaces on my firewall, which show that the
packets aren't delayed by the fw by no more than 0.1ms. They also show
that the ack for the GET is returned almost instantly but the http
payload doesn't begin to send until about three seconds later (at least
according to my limited knowledge of ethereal). Once the sending
starts, it's all finished in milliseconds and the next lag occurs when
the client GETs another file.

Any idea what could be happening? It's making development testing quite
hard, since all my volunteer testers get fed up with waiting for
pageloads.