I would actually be okay writing the function in the view code, if we
had a map filter.

{{ s.teachers|map:list_func|join:";" }}

Then add the following to the context:

"list_func": lambda(x): x.userinfo.informal_name()

How hard would that be to implement, and is it potentially useful
enough that it'd be worth it?

Todd