Preston

Having not done this before (but maybe needing to soon...) the grid
approach seems the best solution.

Actually this is not really a Django issue per se; more a "mismatch"
between the "excel-type" view and the underlying database reality.
Django is just the middle-man, translating "filled-in holes" to clean
database records.

I would think there must be a neat JQuery interface one could
construct for the view?

Derek