I have been trying to create a database for Universities, Departments
and Courses.

The idea is that a University has many departments, which in turn have
one or more courses.

So far, this model works: http://dpaste.com/277850/

With one caveat, it allows a department to exist without a University
linked to it.

I am at a loss here, even after reading over all the documentation I
could find on the website, does anyone have an idea on what I am doing
wrong, or where I should look for a solution?