On 26 November 2010 21:09, Charlietuna <charlietun...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I looked for FAQ, but I couldn't find any. Here's my question. I've
> been working through the tutorials. I've taken a community college
> class on Python. So, I have some background there.
> I've gotten Django installed and working. So far, I've used sqlite3.
>
> Here's the question:  If you have an MySql database that is already
> establised with data, etc,
> how do you get Django to set up the abstraction of the db, so that you
> can access the data.
>
> I've worked with the tutorials where you use Django to create the
> database. You use syncdb command to setup the "abstraction" of the
> data. How do you do it the other direction?

If you have an existing schema in your database, you can use
django-admin.py inspectdb[1] to create models from it. It's not
guaranteed to be 100% correct, so you may need to tweak the generated
models. If you have a database table that you want to access, but
don't won't Django to manage it's schema, you can use
"managed=False"[2] on the model. Hope that helps :)

[1]: http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/django-admin/#inspectdb
[2]: http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/models/options/#managed

--
Łukasz Rekucki