Well, I'm guessing that what is displayed is what the unicode method
returns for the model that the ForeignKey points to (can't remember
for sure offhand, but I know that the admin interface works that
way).  Of course, it might also be changing the display because you're
putting it in a TextField instead of a ChoiceField.

The whole point of a ForeignKey is to store a relationship between two
objects from different models.  I really don't see how you would be
gaining anything by having users edit this data via a TextField.  If
you don't like the widget that a form uses by default to select the
other model instance, you can change that fairly easily.