A couple of weeks ago I sent the message quoted below to the list.  One
reader (Daniel Roseman) replied and suggested that I might not need to
ask the hosting service to install anything, quoting documentation from
the FastCGI section, but it seemed to me (as explained in my reply on
11/28/2010) that mod_fastcgi had to be installed, which it isn't (or at
least it's not in /etc/apache2/mods-available/).

Anyway, I got through to the hosting provider's tech support with my
request and got this reply:

   According to Django requirements (http://packages.debian.org/lenny
   /python-django) and our experience there is no need to have
   mod_python or mod_wsgi installed on the server.  So, you could
   try to run Django web site on the server.  If any problem arises we
   will install the mod_wsgi module.

I wonder if they are referring to the development server here.  Please
correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood from the documentation that a
vanilla installation of Apache would not be sufficient to deploy
production Django applications, except possibly through (old-fashioned)
CGI:  some form of integration (mod_wsgi, mod_python, mod_fastcgi, ...)
would be needed.  Is that right?

In any case, they are willing to install mod_wsgi.  Not being very
familiar with Apache configuration, can someone tell me how much of the
WSGI configuration mentioned in the Django docs for WSGI deployment
(http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.2/howto/deployment/modwsgi/) can be
done with an .htaccess file, and how much I will have to ask them to do
for me?

Thanks,

--Todd