On 8/2/06, patrickk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1. It´s about certainty (which is not so important if you´re certain
> about your js-toolkit; I´ve been playing around with different
> toolkits for about half a year - and I´m still not sure which ones
> better for me ...)

With all due respect, this sounds more like a process problem; figure
out what you need from the JS toolkit you're going to use, and go with
the one which most closely fits those requirements. For me, depending
on the project, that tends to bounce between YUI and Dojo.

> 2. Most important: It´s about sharing code, adopting solutions and
> making development faster.

I'm somewhat suspicious of this, because I think that the JS toolkits
have already genericized "AJAX UI" about as far as it can be
genericized; UI components tend to be reusable and "shareable" only at
a fairly high level (e.g., "select box that autocompletes based on a
list of data", "calendar table which allows date selection", etc.),
and that ground's been covered pretty thoroughly at this point by the
toolkits.

What would be far, far more useful and important would be building up
a repository of AJAX "design patterns" which include examples from
whatever toolkit the author was using, but are more about a high-level
view of different types of interaction and explain how the server side
of things needs to work to support them.

> 3. Unless I´m very much mistaken, there´s already some development
> going on - in order to provide AJAX (Dojo) for the Admin-Interface.
> Since most of the django-users (I guess) will use the Admin-
> Interface, they probably won´t switch to another js-toolkit for their
> site ... well, at least I won´t.

That's actually something that really worries me; Dojo is very nice,
but it's *not* the best toolkit for any given job you throw at it, and
I'd hate to see someone refuse to try a better solution for their
project simply because "I only use what the Django admin app uses".
Django should be about making it easier for developers to do their
jobs, not about telling developers how to do their jobs.

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
  -- George Carlin