@ringemip
Thanks for the reply.  I've been considering something like that, but
given the number of views and tags involved, it would be a very long
process.  Especially since I used a new context instance in most of my
custom tags that render another template, rather the pushing,
rendering, poping the original like I should have.

As much as I don't want to use thread_locals, it seems like the best
(interim) approach.  The long term plan will definitely move to
something like you describe.  It will also give a nice consistent use
pattern when a request object isn't available (ie async mail
templates).

I'd still love to know why the import/locals object is so touchy.