Subramanyam, thanks for the response.

In regard to 3, I am not clear why it would be a good idea to add in
model fields for things you *think* you might want some day.

I would think that using Django South or something similar to create
SQL migrations for your model after a change would be a cleaner
solution... I don't like the idea of adding fields to a model that I
will not use right away as it adds cruft and complexity to my models
and makes it so determining what is being used and what is not more
difficult. Also, since you would be planning for the future, there is
a good chance things will change so much that it would render those
fields obsolete or inaccurate.

Do you use PIP, virtualenv or any of the other tools I mentioned in my
first post?

Cheers