On Thursday, December 23, 2010 09:05:21 am Steve Holden wrote:
> On 12/23/2010 11:54 AM, John Fabiani wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:39:44 am bruno desthuilliers wrote:
> >> On 23 déc, 06:33, John Fabiani <jo...@jfcomputer.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> (snip)
> >>
> >> John, may I suggest that instead of trying whatever comes to mind and
> >> wonder what happens, you spend some times learning Python, specially
> >> the part about modules, import and the modules search path ? Your
> >> problem - which has nothing to do with Django BTW - is obviously that
> >> something in your PYTHONPATH shadows the stdlib modules. Launch an
> >> interactive django / python shell ("./manage.py shell" command in your
> >> terminal), then execute the following code:
> >>
> >> import sys
> >> print "\n".join(sys.path)
> >> import datetime
> >> print datetime
> >>
> >> This should tell you where your modules are searched for by Python,
> >> and where your datetime module is actually imported from.
> >
> > You can do more than suggest.  I learn daily.  And so today I learn where
> > and how to determine where/which module is used for an import.
> >
> > But still your suggestion does not solve the issue at hand.  Your code
> > reports import datetime

> > <module 'datetime' from '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/datetime.so'>
> >
> > I believe that is the correct datetime module which explains nothing!
> > Most important in my mind is how did anything I did cause a difference!
> >
> > 1. I changed the way I import-ed datetime in my views.py.  Just a simple
> > name change on the theory that somewhere I had re-defined datetime.  I
> > also removed two un-used imports.  At first I thought they might have
> > been an issue but I could not see where they conflicted with anything
> > and it did nothing to change the error.
> >
> > 2. Deleted the django models.pyc (note the pyc).  On the theory that some
> > how the file was corrupt.
> >
> > 3. Rebooted the Linux box.  I hated to do this act.  In the past I have
> > always found ways around rebooting a linux box.
> >
> > But suddenly everything started working again!
> >
> > But let's assume you are correct I had added some sort of conflicting
> > module. BTW that was my thought almost immediately!  I changed the code
> > causing the immediate error with the following (used only for testing):
> >
> > try:
> >    now = datetime.datetime.now()
> >
> > except:
> >   import datetime
> >   now = datetime.datetime.now()
> >
> > But suddenly I got a second error from the password method and again the
> > error was  'None' has no Attribute ....  The problem with that error was
> > everything in the password method is contained in the same module.  So
> > if it did not require anything outside of the module how could it be
> > 'None'.  All these errors from the same module (models.py).
> >
> > All of this has me very concerned because I was about to deploy  (after
> > all the website has been tested for the last two weeks).  I do believe
> [...]
The first issue is the traceback.  I'm not getting a traceback at the command
line or the website.  I'm running (python manage.py runserver).  There is no
traceback that appears.  Other than a 500.  I am able to run the django
website via my editor Wing.  That does provide a traceback and I was able to
trace it back to the line as reported.  I don't recall the line number at the
moment.  But it is the only line that contains the code in the module.  BTW I
also have considered that my editor is involved in the cause of the traceback!
I did post the traceback on pastebin.com yesterday.

That said - the traceback I doubt would have made any sense anyway! I placed
print statements around the offending code and indeed the datetime line was
causing the error.  The import for the datetime was at the top of the module
and still the I got the error message.  Just for the record the error came
from line 110 in class UserManger->create_user().  This did not make sense and
I immediately realized that something was wrong in a general sense.  To prove
that I added code to the module to insure that in fact the import datatime was
done just before the offending code.  That of course that worked!

But I immediately got a new error from the same module in set_password() (same
module models.py).  This method is almost self contained and should not have
caused any error.  Again this does not make sense!  There had to be some sort
of module conflict.  But where and how come a working website suddenly
develops such errors?

At the moment the damm thing is working!  I can't repeat any of the errors!  I
get no 500's nothing!  Assuming you read my earlier post - I hope you agree
that nothing I did should have changed anything.  The code I have uses just
standard python with one exception pycurl.  In my views I have imports but I
do NOT see any conflicts.

Johnf