I'm seeing the same error. It looks an awful lot like a bug, because
the parameters don't line up to the ExceptionReporter:

def __init__(self, request, exc_type, exc_value, tb, is_email=False):

It looks like *exc_info should contain the kwargs for exc_type,
exc_value, and maybe tb, but it's assigned to exc_info = () if there
is no stack trace available.

I created a ticket (http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/14972), but
don't know enough about the logging design to determine if a patch
goes in AdminEmailHandler or ExceptionReporter. I'll try to read
through some of the logging design discussion, but I'm thinking I'll
need some more feedback on this.

This does seem to break the AdminEmailHandler functionality, which is
critical for 1.3 release.

-Ben