You can put the templates anywhere you want, by a good place is a
directory named templates in the base directory of your project, i.e.

C:\DjangoProjects\mysite\templates\

Don't forget to add this path to the TEMPLATE_DIRS variable in your settings.py.

The template file from the example would be placed at

C:\DjangoProjects\mysite\templates\polls\index.html

You can probably ignore the document root for now, but I'll try to
explain what it means.
The term "document root" refers to the directory that a webserver like
Apache uses to look for files.
Let's say the webserver running on example.com is configured with
document_root = C:\apache\htdocs. If you visit
http://example.com/foo.html, the webserver would serve you the file
C:\apache\htdocs\foo.html.
I hope that makes sense and doesn't add to the confusion.

Daniel