On Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:55:50 PM UTC, hank23 wrote:

> I'm in the process of coding a new screen which I want to use a form
> on. I'm also currently coding the new form to go with it. The screen
> will have a dropdown box, a conditional textbox, and a submit button,
> as well as some other informational fields and a title on it. Since
> this is my first explicit attempt at using a form I have the following
> questions:
>
> 1. How does my form get recognized by or associated with the html
> screen file?

Via the view, just as with any other type of content. See the documentation
on Using a form in a view:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.2/topics/forms/#using-a-form-in-a-view

> 2. What form field type do I use to pass a list/collection in the form
> to the screen (Once I get it there I know I can display its individual
> items from within a for loop)?

forms.ChoiceField or forms.ModelChoiceField. And you don't need to use a for
loop, just render the field via {{ form.myfield }}.

> 3. Then once the user selects a value from the dropdown box, how can I
> read the value selected, in my view?

By instantiating the form with the values from request.POST. Again, the
forms documentation explains all this in 'using a form in a view'.

> 4. Finally how do I conditionally display the textbox only if the user
> has selected a value from the dropdown box and not display it if a
> value was not selected?

You'll need to do this in Javascript.

--
DR.